Mr. Riley is a member of Rogers Towers’ Litigation Department. His practice is focused on complex commercial litigation, with emphasis on federal and state securities litigation; antitrust litigation; intellectual property litigation, eminent domain and condemnation, banking and creditors’ rights litigation. In addition, a large part of his practice is devoted to the representation of both private property owners and governmental agencies in condemnation trials.
- Obtained a nearly $200 million judgment against the owners of a resort hotel and convention center in North Florida
- Represented 18 “Tenant-in-Common” investors case whose $30 million investment in a Texas commercial building was foreclosed. Filed suit in Orange County, California against a national property and asset management firm for negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. The case settled two weeks before a jury trial was to begin, resulting in a substantial settlement for investors.
- Lead trial counsel for beer distributor in defense of highly-publicized $234 million alleged racketeering (“RICO”) and defamation lawsuit. Case involved over 100 depositions. Mr. Riley obtained summary judgment for his client one month before the start of trial.
- Has represented the PGA TOUR in numerous litigation matters. Co-lead trial counsel in successful defense of antitrust case closely watched across the country concerning the transmission of scoring information via the Internet. Morris Communications Corp. v. PGA TOUR, Inc., 364 F. 3d 1288 (11th Cir. 2004) cert.den 125 S. Ct. 87 (2004).
- Lead Florida counsel in successful defense of securities class action where shareholders sought tens of millions of dollars in damages arising out of multi-billion dollar acquisition of Florida-based transportation company.
- Successfully defended internationally known professional athlete and television personality in a claim brought by a former personal agent claiming hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of New York Stock Exchange company in multi- million dollar claim brought by founder of company for alleged breach of stock option agreements and improper conduct by board of directors.
- Appointed as arbitrator in North Florida for extensive class action securities case against major broker dealer.
- Defended numerous antitrust lawsuits, including claims involving international shipping contracts, contact lenses, retail outlet centers, hospitals, grocery stores, birthing clinics, wetlands mitigation banks, oil lube shops and discount furniture stores.
- Routinely represents investors who have been defrauded or otherwise improperly treated in connection with the purchase and sale of securities, including inappropriate or unsuitable recommendations, excessive or unauthorized trading or churning, false or misleading representations and corporate fraud or mismanagement.
- Successfully prosecuted lawsuits involving director and officer liability, professional malpractice, partnership disputes and shareholder derivative claims.
- Over 25 years experience representing lenders throughout Florida in actions involving non-performing assets, including foreclosure and deficiency actions, lender-liability claims, receiverships and bankruptcy cases.
- Substantial courtroom experience in federal and state courts throughout Florida.
- University of Georgia B.S. 1984
- University of Florida College of Law J.D. 1987
Bar Association Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Northern, Middle and Southern District of Florida
Awards and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Banking and Finance), 2018-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Eminent Domain and Condemnation), 2020
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Recipient, YMCA Volunteers of the Year, 2007
- Recipient, The Hon. Jefferson W. Morrow Award for Outstanding Service
Professional and Community Involvement
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- Antitrust Committee, American Bar Association
- Former President, Board of Trustees, Riverside Presbyterian Day School
- President, Board of Governors, Timuquana Country Club
- Past Board Member, Cornerstone of Jacksonville, Inc.
- Past Board Member, Otis Smith Kids Foundation
- President, Board Member and Co-Founder of Riverside Youth Basketball League
- Elder, Riverside Presbyterian Church
- Coach and Referee for Youth Basketball