Mr. Norrie is a Board-certified construction attorney and practices in the commercial litigation area. A substantial portion of his practice has involved professional malpractice defense, particularly defense of attorneys, accountants and design professionals. As to attorneys and accountants, he has defended both individual and class action claims in state and federal courts. Mr. Norrie’s practice has involved a number of types of cases including securities and construction matters, the latter having been his focus since the late 1970’s. He is the firm’s senior construction litigator and has represented owners, contractors, architects and engineers in a range of litigated matters from contract disputes to building failures and personal injury claims.
- Beginning in 1986 represented a contractor in over 100 lawsuits relating to projects throughout the eastern United States.
- Has since 1985 represented one of the largest architectural and engineering firms in the country in various litigated and arbitrated matters throughout the United States and abroad.
- Spent three months in Manila successfully renegotiating a major contract involving a U.S.-based consultant and the Philippine Department of Public Works and Highways.
- Successfully represented an engineering firm in a claim of over $6 million for alleged failure of an effluent disposal injection well.
- Handles cases for a number of insurance companies writing professional liability insurance for design professionals and general liability insurance for contractors.
- Successfully obtained reversal by Arkansas Supreme Court of verdict and judgment of approximately $9 million in environmental insurance case.
- Has represented a major insurance company in environmentally related matters including coverage disputes for environmental claims arising at various sites in the United States.
- Has represented and continues to represent architectural and engineering firms in numerous claims throughout the United States, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia and Africa including claims alleged to have resulted from building defects or professional malpractice and contractual claims involving foreign governmental agencies.
- University of Florida, B.A., 1968
- Harvard University, J.D., 1971
Bar Association Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- Board Certified in Construction Law, The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District, Middle District and Southern District of Florida
- District Courts, Various Other States
- All Florida State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th Circuits
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Claims Court
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Army, Highest Rank Captain
Awards and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law), 2017-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Litigation - Construction), 2020
- Best Lawyers® Jacksonville Construction Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- Florida Trend Magazine, “Legal Elite” (Construction), 2008-2012, 2015
- Florida Super Lawyers® (Construction Litigation), 2006 – 2019
- Jacksonville Super Lawyers® “Top 25”, 2018
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi
Professional and Community Involvement
- Charter Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA)