Mr. Shaver practices in the areas of federal and state taxation, the creation, operation, reorganization and disposition of partnerships, corporations and other business and professional entities, including healthcare entities, mergers and acquisitions, as well as general corporate matters. Doug’s practice includes structuring and negotiating complex business transactions throughout the United States and in certain international markets.
- Assists clients in the structuring of and the tax planning for business and investment opportunities and in that connection drafts a wide variety of business related agreements, including partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, acquisition agreements, merger agreements and the like.
- Represents individuals and entities in connection with business reorganization, mergers, acquisitions, sales, and business planning.
- Assists clients in pursuit of international business ventures, including coordinating with local counsel in formation of foreign holding companies and joint venture entities and related licensure and regulatory matters, drafting and negotiating joint venture agreements and advising on corporate governance matters and legal issues in commercial transactions.
- Advises clients on a wide variety of federal income tax issues arising under non-qualified deferred compensation plans.
- Drafts non-qualified deferred compensation plans and agreements.
- Extensive business background.
- University of Pittsburgh B.A. magna cum laude, 1984
- University of Alabama J.D. magna cum laude, 2001
- University of Florida College of Law LL.M. Taxation magna cum laude, 2006
Bar Association Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- The North Carolina State Bar (inactive)
- Captain, U.S. Marine Corps, Active Duty 1984-89
Awards and Distinctions
- Florida Trend Magazine, “Legal Elite” (Tax Category), 2010, 2011
- Florida Super Lawyers®, “Rising Star” (Tax Category), 2009-2011
- Order of the Coif
- Book Award, Highest Grade in Partnership Tax, University of Florida
Professional and Community Involvement
- Former Member, Military Issues Committee, Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce.
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Jacksonville Community Council, Inc. 2011-2012
- Youth Soccer Coach, Florida Elite Soccer Academy